Last year I had the honor to participate in the delivery of a training at our Microsoft headquarters in Redmond, Washington. There was a young vendor who was responsible for coordinating the delivery of the training and he asked me why I choose to work for Microsoft. After hearing my reply, he said that it was the best answer he has received from a Microsoft Employee. Today, I want to share with you my answer and it is that “every person should love and support Microsoft, because of the impacts Microsoft has in our world.”
Let’s take a step back and look at the technology sector from far above. Technology has changed our lives, it has changed our society, it has changed science, and most certainly the whole world.
To be clear, I’m not claiming that Microsoft is to be credited for all the great things technology has invented, even though it is fair to say we have contributed quite a bit.
There is something very unique to Microsoft that no other Tech-company has and that is the impact it has on each and every one of us every day. It’s beyond our imagination. It doesn’t matter what system you use because at some point in your day you touch a Microsoft Technology that helps you to get things done. It could be that the car you drive or paying your bills or consuming electricity was partially built with Microsoft Technology; even the cashier system at your local grocery store was built with Microsoft Technologies, and the list goes on.
Let’s talk about the impact on Economy:
- In 2007 Microsoft and its ecosystem generated over $514 billion globally in tax revenue. In the USA alone, $203 billion helped pay for streets, schools, Medicare, and National Security.
- Microsoft serves as an economic catalyst in every country in which it operates. For every $1 Microsoft earns companies working with Microsoft will earn $7.79. In Countries such as China, India, and Russia earnings in excess of $16 to $1.
- The Microsoft Partner Network contains 430,000 organizations. Now, that is absolutely unique. No other tech company has such an extensive partner network like we do, that can actually survive on the back of Microsoft.
Let’s talk about the impact on Jobs:
- In 2007 the technology industry had 35.2 million jobs globally. Microsoft and it’s related activities are responsible for 14.7 million of these jobs. That is a 42% impact on the global job market in the technology industry.
Let’s talk about the impact on our society:
- Microsoft Employee giving campaign has donated $ 1 Billion to over 31k charities.
- Microsoft donates an average of 22.6 million a day in software to more than 86,000 nonprofits around the world.
- Microsoft employees in the U.S. have volunteered more than 2.5 million hours of their time to causes they care about since 2005.
The list could go on and on, but I’ll finish it here. If you want to hear more let me know and I’m more than happy to share more reasons with you. I hope that I have been able to show you the impacts Microsoft has and why I am so passionate about this company.
Information about giving and donations are from the public Microsoft Philanthropies website.