VLOG #49 – online school, remote work, all due to COVID-19 aka Corona
How to enable learning and/or work remotely is something many of us are facing right now. Many of us have never worked remotely and/or have thought about online school for our kids as schools are being closed around the world. The good news is that there is a variety of teaching platforms that we can benefit from. Even if you have graphic intense workloads such as HPC, you can now easily work remotely, check out my vlog #13.
I had the opportunity to do some online trainings across a variety of platforms. Microsoft internal, EDX, Udemy, Pluralsight, Stanford, and Khan Academy. The one platform that beats everyone by far is Khan Academy, why? Because it’s all about user experience for them while everyone else sets the priority on IP (Intellectual property) protection and secondly, that you can’t cheat if it’s an online certification. The priority of a platform makes all the difference in the world. For example, for one Microsoft Azure certification you have to download a bunch of tools that records you through the cam, records audio and your screen to ensure you don’t open any other programs while taking the test. I got an error message saying that “flash.exe” was running, which was their client that recorded the session, and it cancelled my test. It took me weeks with support trying to figure out how to retake the test. I ended up not doing it because it just took way too much time. Khan Academy is something I find myself going back to over and over again and I love it.
- Khan Academy (School for kids and adults alike) https://www.khanacademy.org/
- Staying productive while working remotely with Microsoft Teams: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2020/03/10/staying-productive-while-working-remotely-with-microsoft-teams/
- Remote Work checklist: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/03/Remote-Work-Preparednesss-List_infographic_V3b.pdf
- The top 9 ways Microsoft IT is enabling remote work for its employees: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/blog/2020/03/12/top-9-ways-microsoft-it-enabling-remote-work-employees/
- CAD workloads and HPC remotely with desktop.studio: https://desktop.studio/
- Azure Windows Virtual Desktop: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/virtual-desktop/
- Azure Front Door: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/frontdoor/
- CAD on Azure: https://www.thedavekurth.com/microsoft/vlog-13-cad-on-n-series/